Friday, May 9, 2008

Harry Joseph, Four Months Old



November 28, 2007 @ 8:51 am

Dear Harry,

Oh my, but 4 month olds are challenging! You are a busy little guy: rolling, teething, cooing, reaching for toys and really playing, trying to sit up, blowing raspberries, trying to sing and explore your voice, still nursing around the clock, still sleeping in our bed. But hey. These are all good things. You are doing everything you are supposed to be doing and more. You’re pretty amazing, kid.

Mommy and Daddy have had it rough, though. We have both been sick for much of the month and have not slept in the same bed in about 2 weeks. Our schedules have made it really hard to have any “grown-up” time alone together. I know it’s a phase, but it’s a tough one. Daddy is leaving on a Christmas Pops tour two days after Thanksgiving and your Mimi & Pop are going to come stay with you. We are going to miss Daddy. There was a day last week that he was so sick, I had to take you to work with me. We stayed out all day to let him rest. When we got home and you saw him, I don’t know who lit up more - you or Daddy. I hope his being gone for a week won’t make you forget him. I love how you two have settled in together like old pals.

The semester here at school is winding down. I’m really trying to power through with the pumping and nursing to make it to my 6 month goal, which is January. I’m not ready to wean you and you show no signs of being ready to wean. But January will be a new semester, a new year, your 6 month birthday and the introduction of solid food. At that point, I hope to ease off on the pumping and see how we do. Right now is a bad time to try to change anything. Everything I’ve read on 4 month olds convinces me that we need to keep doing what we’re doing. This is a big growth spurt and a time of huge neurological & physical development. You have two top teeth coming in, so that is a factor too. I can pretty much feed you in my sleep now, so I should feel pretty good, once I’m no longer sick.

It’s now nearly 10 days later and I’m just getting to finish this post. We still haven’t worked out the “giving Mommy free time when she’s home” thing, so I have to write about you at work. It’s nice, though, because I miss you all day long. As tired as I am and as challenging as you can be, I don’t want to miss a moment with you. Every day is something new and I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Love,
Mom

No comments: