Friday, September 11, 2009

Nathan James, 4 months old


Dear Nathan,

I cannot believe that it is the end of your first summer. The weather has turned cool and it is time to break out the footsie pajamas. We didn't get to do a lot of summery stuff this year, but that's OK. We had plenty of fun just being with you and Harry at home and around the neighborhood.

You are doing lots of amazing things, Nathan. You figured out how to roll across the floor within the last week. It looks like our days of having a stationary baby are over. I remember how your brother started doing that around your age and then he NEVER STOPPED MOVING. You may be different, but we will be ready this time. You are very smiley and you have even started giggling. It is very contagious, I tell you. You light up a room, baby boy. Your parents are, understandably, smitten. Your brother, surprisingly, is pretty enamored of you too. When you see him you start grinning and several times a day, you get bombarded with special Harry-loves. He thinks it is funny when you blow bubbles and coo.

You are having a rough time sleeping, though. You tend to cat-nap during the day for 30-45 minutes at a stretch and you are having trouble going for longer stretches on your own at night. We can still usually get 2-4 hours before I bring you to bed, but some nights, you just need to be held until my bedtime. I remember the 4 month sleep regression well from the first time around; though, that time it went from bad to worse. With you it's gone from great to just OK. I really shouldn't complain, but you have spoiled me. I'm hoping that we can get back on our routine within the next few weeks.

You are still huge and getting bigger by the day. I had to break out the 12-18 month sizes, since the 9 month outfits cannot accommodate your height. I'm going to have to take a trunk full of clothes to the consignment store and see if I can make a trade. You are burning through Harry's old clothes faster than I can pull them out. You are easily 28 inches at this point and quite likely close to 20 lbs. We'll see at your appointment next week.

Not much more to say, except that we are so happy to have you around. It is such fun to watch you develop and to watch your relationship to your brother grow. I think we're going to have a good year. Fall is here, Halloween and Thanksgiving are coming, and we get to see it all through your eyes. I can't wait, Nate.

Love,
Mama

No comments: