Thursday, July 3, 2008


Here are the highlights and lowlights of our recent trip to Maine for hubby's gig with the Portland Symphony.

For the faint of heart: Be warned that this story contains baby poop details! It is one of the perils of reading a parenting blog.

For those veterans out there: Keep track of the night time poops detailed below and remember that we were supposed to be here for 3 nights, so I brought 4 overnight diapers. He almost never poops at night - he is a lunchtime pooper and only ever once a day. Plus, these were the last of the overnight diapers. I had bought a new package that I left in Newton, foolishly thinking we had no need for them.

Day 1: Left late (getting out the door is slow with a baby) and couldn't make a rest stop. Hubby's bus was to leave at 5:30. Harry cried for the last 20 minutes of the ride and was visibly shaken when we arrived. No time for dinner, but Harry did manage to poop shortly after we changed him for bed. He crashed out at 5:00 only to wake at 6:00 and stay up until 9:00. I'll spare you my room service debacle during that time, but it included really poor timing (almost had him back to sleep) and Harry's first (accidental) taste of bacon. He pooped again before going to bed and I tried to bathe him, but the tub stopper was defective. He slept well, but I was restless because I was nervous co-sleeping in a different bed. I kept waking to check on him. Overnight diapers used: 2

Day 2: We took Harry to Old Orchard Beach. We had taken him to the ocean at 6 weeks old, but we just walked and he slept. This time, we went on the sand and actually brought him to the water. He LOVED it. Every time a wave came, he squealed with joy. He kept signing "more" and just had a grand old time. Afterwards, we went to lunch at Governor's restaurant and he got a balloon that he kissed with his blueberry applesauce face. In the afternoon, we rested and then walked around Portland. I bought a new baby sling and a special toy for Harry. (We had decided that he and I would take the train home on day 4, rather than waiting for the concert to end and then drive late at night.)

He crashed at 5:00 again and I was sure I was in for it again, but by 8:00, he was still out. He was wearing a Gdiaper that was not set up for sleeping and would surely leak. I was afraid to change him and wake him for the evening, but I bit the bullet and put him in an overnight diaper at about 8:15 and got him back down. Hubby got home at 10:30 and Harry stirred. Then, Harry pooped. Another quick change and he slept through from 11:00 until 5:00! Overnight diapers used: 2

Day 3: LL BEAN! Well, Harry hated LL Bean. We forgot the baby carrier and he was not in a stroller mood. So we traded carrying him and pushing the stroller. He had more fun in the Starbucks down the street. We had better luck in Carter's and Oshkosh, plus a fun "learning" toy store. Heading back to Portland, Harry melted down. It was nap time and he didn't want to nap. We put on AM 730 (sister station to our favorite AM 740 back home - same announcer) and he settled into a nap. We attempted to go have lunch at our favorite seafood joint, Newick's, to find it gone. Torn down. Strip mall in its place. Sad. So, we went to Hannaford's got lunch and headed to the local park. Best. Idea. Ever. There were swings, slides, kids, dogs, and a splash park. If you haven't taken a kid to a splash park, you are missing out. Harry took right to it and got soaked. It was pretty awesome.

After drying off and resting at the hotel, we tried to find a quick, early dinner. It was surprising how few places around here have high chairs. We ended up doing Mexican, but it wasn't really kid friendly. Back at the room, I was ready for the 5:00 conk out. He pooped in the late afternoon and we were now out of overnight diapers and were doubling Gdiaper liners. I got him ready for bed and he crashed at 6:30. He stirred at 8:30 and went back down. Hubby came home and the pooping started. First a small one. We changed him. 10 minutes later - a big one. We changed him again. He was crying by then. Poor little guy! By this time, I'm thinking he must have a tummy bug. 3 times in 8 hours is a lot for him.

Day 4: Remember the train idea? We were all set. I was packed, bought the ticket online for the 12:50 train. We had a good morning and came back to the room for naptime. Harry and Daddy napped. I got organized. We had the special toy ready, snacks, books, the last 3 disposable diapers. I loaded up a double Gdiaper for the trip so I wouldn't have to change him until we got home, unless he pooped. But, why would he poop? We got in the car for the 10 minute ride, printed my ticket in the station and sat down. Harry was fussing, so I took him out of the carrier and I smelled it. Poop. I peeked - a diaper buster. Luckily hubby was waiting with me. We went back to the car and it was the king of all poops. If he was starting this now, there was no way I was getting on a train with him. I only had two diapers after the one we put on him and I couldn't afford to risk it. We got back in the car. Of course, he was fine after that, but we had to book another night's stay to avoid crazy logistics after the concert. First thing we did after the train station? Bought diapers. I'm waiting to see if we have another late night visit from the poop fairy.

Some quick highlights:
  • Harry took several steps unassisted, several times. (Step, step, step, Boom! Step, step, step, Boom!)
  • When watching the Food Network with me, I asked him "Is she making something good for your belly?" He started slapping his belly and laughing. Hilarious!
  • His signing is taking off. He knows how to do "all done" (and says "DA!" and shakes his head when he does it) "more" and "milk" and just started doing "twinkle" for "Twinkle, twinkle little star." We went into Stonewall Kitchens today and he saw all the food and frantically signed "MORE" all over the place.
  • His love of music is really showing. We bought him a toy guiro and when we play it for him, he really gets his groove on.
  • He loves to pretend to feed us! Finally, WE get to eat instead of him.
It's our last night. He conked out at 7:45 and is still out. We're meeting a friend for breakfast and then heading home for Harry's first Fourth of July. We hope to drive during nap time. Please pray to the gods of poop that we make it home without incident.

1 comment:

grantie said...

Dear Harry,
What a big boy you are getting to be!! You are having more and more wonderful adventures. I love hearing that you are a true water baby. Maybe you can visit again this summer and frolic in Mrs. Pat's pool. First You and your mama and daddy can pick out a special birthday toy at a nice store called "Once Upon a Time" and then we can have a treat at the ice cream store right next door. Sound like a plan darling?
Love and many kisses,