Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Harry Joseph, Seventeen Months Old



(Sorry for the late post!)

Dear Harry,

Today almost passed me by without my realizing that you are seventeen months. Time seems like it has either sped up or stood still. I can't tell which. We've all been sick for about a month, off and on. I haven't been "stay-in-bed" sick since before you were born, until this week. It's been rough. You have your usual amount of energy, and it's just Daddy dealing with you. I know he is tired and has a cold too. If you could just slow down a bit, that would be nice. The other day, I was trying to catch a nap and every time I dozed off, you started shrieking as you ran around the house. Happy shrieks, but still, noisy shrieks.

You are such fun to be around, Harry. Everything is exciting to you and you just overflow with joy when you get excited. You've had your first experience playing in the snow, which you thought was delicious. You've gotten into "cooking" and "cleaning" which means a lot of noise and distraction in the kitchen. You are really interested in animals and the sounds you make. You insist that horses say, "moo" no matter what we tell you. It's pretty cute. You love to help yourself to snacks in the kitchen whenever we turn our backs. One of your habits is taking us by the hand and leading us to whatever it is you desire: the refrigerator, the TV, the front door, the computer. You may not say much yet, but you know how to get your point across.

Speaking of words, you have given me the greatest Christmas gift I have ever received. Even better than the 10-speed bike when I was 10 years old. You said "Mama" and gave me a big hug. I know you have been able to say it for many months. You said it at around 8 months and then very infrequently since, and it was rarely specific. It was just part of your babbling on occasion. Now, you say it more each day and you have given it real meaning. I can't think of anything I have ever wanted more. Thank you, sweetie. I hope you are just as happy with your Christmas gifts this year.

Love,
Mama

No comments: