Friday, May 30, 2008

Harry Joseph, Eight Months Old



March 14, 2008 @ 7:40 am

Dear Harry,

This month, we have been visited by the personality fairy. You are quite a character, full of belly laughs and babbling sounds! Everyone comments on how happy you are. They ask if you are like that all the time, and for the most part, yes you are. In the last few weeks, you have become responsive to so many things. You react to us when we do something silly, instead of just staring at us like we are crazy (that will come back when you are a teenager). You smile and laugh when we put your rubber duck on our heads or try to eat your toes.

Another change is how you can now show a true attachment to your parents. Now that you are so mobile and can move away from us, like you’ve been dying to do since birth, you will seek us out after a time of separation. You’ll be playing and suddenly crawl across the room into my lap and bury your head. Or, I’ll leave the room for a moment to come back and find you out in the hall looking for me. This morning when I was leaving for work, you crawled over to me and pulled up on my pant legs as if to say, “Mama, don’t go!” Believe me, I’d stay if I could. You do these things to Daddy, too, which makes me so happy. They say when Dads stay at home, children show less of a preference between Mom & Dad. You and Daddy have lots of fun together and I know he can’t wait to take you to the park to play frisbee.

On the language front, you did something amazing this week. You had just had your bath and Daddy was getting you dressed. You were not happy about it, so you were fussing and squirming. Daddy put you on his shoulder so I could pull your PJ bottoms up. When they were on and he turned you around you looked at me and said, “Mama!” Well, I tell you, we made such a big deal about that that you forgot why you were mad and started smiling away. I know you probably don’t realize what you did, but you know you did something. It’s only a matter of time before you figure it out for real. Just the same, my heart melted hearing you say that.

We are so glad that you are such a happy kid. We are hoping that your personality will help us on what will most likely be a very difficult trip to meet your Daddy’s family on the West Coast. Traveling with an 8 month old is a huge logistical feat. Although you won’t remember this trip, you can be sure that your parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles will never forget it. I know that, they all love you and can’t wait to meet you. I hope that someday you have nice memories of them. Meanwhile, I’ll try not to have a panic attack.

Last night we took you to the playground so you could ride on the swings. You thought that was the greatest thing ever. Almost better than nursies! Seeing you, in your little jacket and hat, looking more and more like a little boy than a baby, made me think of what you’ll be like as you get older. I hope you retain your sense of fun and cheerfulness. Life can be hard, but it is ever so much easier if you can maintain a positive outlook. Being happy is a choice, in most cases, and it can be a hard choice sometimes, but I see it as a sign of strength and inner peace. If you are happy with yourself first, many of life’s little troubles just melt away. Rock on with your giggly self, little one.

Love,
Mama

No comments: